Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stuffed Shells

Wow, I did something different with pasta last night and I have to admit I was proud of myself!!  We had a vegetarian meal… I made stuffed shells and used a marinara sauce to top them.  Normally, I put meat in the sauce and in the stuffed shells, but last night there wasn’t meat in either!  The shells are really easy to make and come from a recipe from my mom. 
You need:
2 boxes of jumbo shells
1 cup Romano or parmesan cheese
½ to 1 box of frozen spinach (drained) and squeezed
1 crt. Cottage cheese
Bag of mozzarella cheese
Parsley
Garlic
Salt and pepper
Parsley
1-3 eggs (use as a glue to hold everything together- I had to use 3 last night)
If you do want to add meat... brown 1 lb. Hot Italian Sausage.
Cook the shells and let cool.  You mix up everything in a large bowl and stuff the shells with mixture.  Spray the bottom of two cake pans and put a little marinara sauce so the shells do not stick while baking. Drizzle the top of the shells with a little more marinara.  Cover the pans with aluminum foil.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.  Serve the shells with some more marinara sauce on top!! 
The reason why you need two boxes of shells is because a lot of the shells will break and not be able to be used… you’d rather have too many shells than not enough!!!! 
Sorry, I can’t give away my special recipe on the sauce!  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment