Monday, February 21, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

 I attempted something I have never cooked with before.  I made eggplant parmesan, plus I made the healthy version (baked not fried)!It is fun trying new recipes.  I have to admit I tried a new recip last week that didn't turn out so well.  It wasn't the recipe, but the fish tasted like dirt! NOT FUN! I am glad this one turned out great.  I did some reading of quite a few recipes before I started today.  Of course, I made it my own way!  I was very pleased with the results when my three year old said, “yummy” and my one year old cried when it was gone from her plate!!  I have heard that when cooking with eggplants it can be bitter in taste.  After reading a few different people’s recipes, I found one that sounded as if it would work the best.  I took the eggplant and sliced it into thick slices.  Then I used sea salt on both sides and put them in the colander for a half hour.  While they are in there, they begin to “sweat” out the bitter stuff and it looks like drops of water are coming out of it.  Next, I put them on a paper towel and patted the top with a paper towel to dry them all off.  While they were drying off, I had the oven preheated at 425F and I set everything up that I would need to coat them.  I put about 1 ½ cups of flour in a bag (it’s a lot easier to shake them to coat them).  I put three eggs with 1/3 cup of water and some garlic powder and mixed it.  Then in a third container I put about a cup of Italian bread crumbs.  Plus, I sprayed Pam on two cake pans. Once the eggplant was ready, I shook all of them in the bag of flour.  One at a time I dipped them in the egg mixture, then the bread crumbs, and placed them in the cake pans (spread out).  I baked them for about ½ hour until they were crispy.  Then I poured marinara on each eggplant, sprinkled parmesan cheese, and just a little of low fat mozzarella cheese.  I baked them until the cheese has melted and crispy on top.  It was served on a bed of whole wheat pasta with marina sauce. I used a little spicier marinara sauce this time that added to it.  The eggplant turned out delicious! 
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment